7-Eleven on 7/11

A reminder how customer expectations change over time…

7eleven

The convenience store that invented convenience stores, 7-Eleven got it’s name because it was open during the unheard of hours of 7:00 am until 11:00 pm.

At that time that was remarkable. That was unheard of.

Here’s a bit from the 7-Eleven site.

7-Eleven pioneered the convenience store concept way back in 1927 at the Southland Ice Company in Dallas, Texas. In addition to selling blocks of ice to refrigerate food, an enterprising ice dock employee began offering milk, bread and eggs on Sundays and evenings when grocery stores were closed. This new business idea produced satisfied customers and increased sales, and convenience retailing was born!

The company’s first convenience outlets were known as Tote’m stores since customers “toted” away their purchases, and some even sported genuine Alaskan totem poles in front. In 1946, Tote’m became 7-Eleven to reflect the stores’ new, extended hours – 7 a.m. until 11 p.m., seven days a week. The company’s corporate name was changed from The Southland Corporation to 7-Eleven, Inc. in 1999.

• and how about all the media hullabaloo 7-11 is gettin’ for the 40th anniversary of the Slurpee … great gosh a-mighty.

• Paughnee says:

Slurpees? I keep hearing about 7-11 and Slurpees (on David Letterman, for example), but in Oklahoma the 7-11 stores sell Icees. Weird. There’s no mention of Icees on the 7-11 web site. Maybe it’s a franchise thing.

• That is very weird. I have never heard of that. I would think the 7-Eleven corporation would demand they sell the Slurpee brand. Maybe the franchise owners are renegades, and are breaking the rules. I remember the Icee brand being in K-Mart stores when I was a kid. I always considered it the cheap knock-off versions of the slurpee. I always compared it to the RC Cola of the flavored crushed ice world. Maybe that is the image the franchise owners are trying to put forth. Icee and RC have become retro of late.

• This just in … Brand Autopsy field correspondent, Dustin Staiger, has confirmed 7-Eleven locations in Oklahoma sell Icees and not Slurpees. Stay tuned to Brand Autopsy for continuous updates on this partially frozen branded beverage controversy.

• We interrupt this thread to bring you breaking news.Good afternoon Brand Autopsy readers … I’m marketing medic johnmoore.There have been new developments in the partially frozen branded beverage controversy. Brand Autopsy has just learned an old licensing agreement exists between 7-Eleven and Bill Brown, owner and operator of 7-Eleven locations in Oklahoma, prohibiting the distribution of 7-Eleven branded proprietary products such as Slurpees in Oklahoma 7-Eleven locations. Thus, Bill Brown’s owned and operated 7-Eleven locations sell Icees instead of Slurpees. No more details are known at this time.Brand Autopsy has placed a call into Kevin Cooper, 7-Eleven Category Manager for Slurpee branded beverages, to learn more details in the partially frozen branded beverage controversy. Rest assured Brand Autopsy will not rest until this Icee situation thaws.We now return you to the original thread already in progress.

• As a man living in Dallas, this new development scares me. I can only imagine all of the Oklahomans jumping the Texas border to partake in the 40th anniversary of the Slurpee. They have been deprived for many years. Kidding Oklahoma.I am interested to see what you hear from the corporate offices. I wonder how long the agreement lasts? Will Oklahoma ever see the Slurpee?

• Kevin Cooper, 7-Eleven Slurpee Category Manager, called me moments ago to clarify the Slurpee|Icee situation in Oklahoma.The 100 7-Eleven locations in Oklahoma are licensed stores and do not always sell the same products as other 7-Eleven stores do. Nor do these stores participate in the same marketing programs other 7-Eleven stores do. This all stems from a licensing agreement signed a long time ago. Since these 100 licensed locations in Oklahoma are legally prohibited from selling proprietary 7-Eleven branded Slurpees … they sell the competing Icee branded slushy drink instead.Kevin told me they rarely receive inquiries about the Oklahoma 7-Eleven licensing agreement and 7-Eleven corporate treats these 100 stores as an anomaly in their store portfolio.Mucho kudos to 7-Eleven corporate offices in Dallas. First off, an actual person answered their media relations line and she was very helpful in answering questions. Next, a receptionist forwarded my call to Kevin Cooper, Slurpee category manager. I left a message for Kevin at 4:40 yesterday afternoon and he called me back first thing this morning. AMAZING!!!!From my ten years of experience working deep inside the marketing departments of Starbucks and Whole Foods, there is no way they would have been so responsive so forthcoming so quickly to a random call from a curious customer. Much kudos 7-Eleven!

• Dustin says:

“Icee and RC have become retro of late.”Welcome to Oklahoma, home of retro. Actually, things are fairly up to date here. Moreso than most people think. We stopped living in teepees and covered wagons at least 5 years ago.More than anything else, we have an image problem. Especially now that John broke this Slurpee/Icee story.

• Hey…When Urban Outfitters starts selling Rc and Icee shirts you know you have sometihng retro. I never really considered Oklahoma to be behind the times. I think all states have their certain stereotypes. My friends still think I ride a horse to work. Welcome to Texas, Ya’ll.

• Paughnee says:

Wow! I didn’t realize my little comment would spark such brilliant investigative reporting! John, great job in getting to the bottom of the Slurpee/Icee issue. I don’t really feel like I’ve missed anything, but since I’m headed to San Antonio next week, I’ll be sure to stop by a 7-11 and try a Slurpee just to compare. (Well, maybe I’ll delegate the taste test to my kids . . . they’re the Icee experts.)My local 7-11 does carry the 7-11 line of bakery items (brownies, donuts, cookies) but it doesn’t carry the sandwiches that I’ve heard about. Now, thanks to Brand Autopsy, I don’t have to wonder why it’s different in Oklahoma.

• David says:

couple of historical notesa) There used to be a competitor to 7/11, in Texas anyway, called “U-Tot’em” (see reference to “tot’em’s” in the 7/11 site materialb) There was a catchy RC Cola jingle some years ago, last lines were “Me and my RC/ Me and my RC!” sung in an energetic country twang.

• dave in norman says:

I have been doing business with 7-11 for 39 years, and they have started this pay in advance gas shit. I am not a theif, and I refuse to pay like a suspected theif. No more business from me at any 7-11 until they stop this stupid bullshit. I hope 7-11 reads this.

• Mike B says:

I use to live in LosAngeles,where there is a 7-11 every 2 blocks(seems like).I moved to Omaha,Ne. recently.Why isn’t there any 7-11 in Nebraska?

• Savvy says:

It’s strange that you mention the Slurpee vs. Icee debate. Oddly enough I was thinking about such things the other day. Obviously, I should get a life. :)I am trying to find out where 7-11 store #82 is located in Oklahoma City. Someone stole my debit card & used it there. Can someone help? Seems no Oklahoma City stores are found on the 7-11 corporate locator search engine.

• Raquel Muratori says:

the # for 711 82 is 5257107

• A in Omaha says:

Dave in Norman,According tohttp://marinersguide.com/regions/northwest/omaha.ne/food.htmlWe may be able to buy 128oz “Team Gulp!” at these7-Eleven Food Stores:1010 S 154th 330-367812011 Blondo St 493-72721222 S 24th St 341-16511349 Park Ave 341-58392302 S 13th St 345-19982401LeavenworthSt 345-77912411 N 30th St 451-5673318 S 16th St 341-36733352 N 108th St 496-34223874 Hamilton St 551-50944108 Dodge St 553-70474122 Ames Ave 453-35495018 Underwood Av 553-1576503 N 33rd St 341-65495188LeavenworthSt 551-88385408 N 99th St 572-69926524 N 30th St 455-76666606 Blondo St 554-0717711 N 108th Ct 493-0711720 N 108th Ave 496-0311

• Micah says:

Those of you who are wondering about the differences in OK 7-11s and the others, it is this. The OK stores are owned by the Brown family. Th50ey have owned them for over 50 years. They are completly seperate from the major comglomerate. They have their own vendors and partners. They choose to call their Slurpee an Icee because it is seperate. This was a deal Jim Brown(owner of the OK stores not football hall of famer)made with the original president of 7-11 way back. The OK stores offer better wages and also better benefits than the larger company. It is really decent job. So there you have it, if you did not know.

• Raquel says:

actually, they’re icy drinks, not icee’s, and Jim Brown did not make the deal. His father, Bill Brown was one of the co-founders of 7-11 (which originated in okc in 1953) and he and his partner decided to part ways. One partner turned his part of the company into the huge franchised corporation most people recognize as 7-11, yet the Browns remained local to oklahoma city and its metro areas. if anyone is still interested.

• Another Brown says:

Bill Brown was not one of the co-founders of the original 7-Eleven Corp. The founder of that company was Joe Thompson in ’27. In 1952 Joe Thompson and his fishing buddy, Bill Brown (Sr), put their sons Jere Thompson and Bill Brown (the younger but not a Jr) into business outside of the state of Texas in order to grow the business. Jere never worked in the Okla business physically and Bill Brown built a 100 store chain in central Okla. [There are corporate stores in portions of the state of Okla outside of the central Okla area which are not part of Brown’s busines] To this day, the original Okla partnership continues.Meanwhile, back in Texas (in the mid 50’s), the Thompson boys were busy engineering a push to franchise 7-Eleven stores all over the known galaxy. And it is my understanding that 7-Eleven may, eventually, even go into Nebraska, if Nebraska is ever admitted to the union.And what about that 39 year patron of 7-Eleven who isn’t a theif?, theef?, theaf?….whatever.

• former okie says:

In Ok metro areas they are called “ICY” or “ICYS” not to be confused with the “ICEE” slush drink. And I miss them …Oklahoma’s “ICYS” are the best frozen drink anywhere…and I’ve lived west coast, mid-west and currently, east coast. Hey Oklahoma 7-Elevens…can’t you work out a deal here in VA??!!! Your flavors rock!! And I’m sick of going in to get a slurpee and finding the machine broken!!!

• tesg says:

Regarding 7-Eleven in Nebraska, the franchisee went bankrupt about ten years ago and sold his stores to Kum & Go, who converted them all to their brand.This eliminated 7-Eleven from Nebraska, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, and maybe two other states.

• sgtfrasiersgrl says:

The oklahoma locator doesnt bring up anything. How do I find out where store number 78 is in oklahoma?

• Raquel says:

Look in the local phone book under convenience stores, they are listed by number. Or call a 7-11, they can give you the #

• Risa says:

Hey everyone. I have read all the threads and I must say very interesting. I actually work for 7-11 Corporate. In the construction dept. We are actually in the process of remodeling the whole country! We have started in Cali and Going to Colorado. That means new slurppee machines. 8 totall in each. And all the new products. Plus we are going to start selling fresh fruit and sandwichs. Well let me know if I can answer any questions. Thanks for a fun read. Risa WarnerAQIP Admin Construction Dept.7-11 Las Vegas NV

• Craig says:

Just to further this old discussion, not only did Icee come before Slurpee, Slurpee WAS Icee, renamed for 7-11. It’s the same thing. 7-11 does come right out and say it, but here’s the evidence:From http://www.iceeusa.com/“In the late 1950’s a man named Omar Knedlik owned a Dairy Queen in Coffeyville, Kansas. He didn’t have a soda fountain in the store so he took bottles of soda and put them in the freezer. He kept them in the freezer until the soda in the bottles became frozen. He served this frozen drink to his customers and they loved it!”He thought it would be great if there was a machine to make this unique frozen drink and began to build the machine himself. It took five years for Mr. Knedlik to build the first ICEE® machine. When he finally finished, he had just what he dreamed of, a machine that could pour a frozen, carbonated drink. By the mid 60’s, about 300 ICEE® machines had been manufactured.”From http://www.slurpee.com/“The story of Slurpee® drinks began in 1959 with a broken soda fountain machine in Kansas. When Omar Knedlik’s soda machine broke at his drive-in hamburger restaurant, he began serving icy-cold bottled soft drinks from his freezer. Customers fell in love with the slushy drinks, sparking Knedlik to come up with the idea of creating soft-serve frozen drinks.”After failed attempts to create a machine to make his icy beverages, Knedlik contacted the John E. Mitchell Company, a Dallas machinery manufacturer in 1959. Mitchell was attracted to the idea and began working with an automobile air conditioner to create a machine that would freeze carbonated soft drinks that could be served in a sherbet-like form and would be drunk through a straw. Mitchell’s machine used a complex system to freeze the beverages so they could be served at an icy 28 degrees.”Although a revolution in the soft drink field, Mitchell’s frozen drinks were not a huge success with retailers. He tried selling his machines to drugstores and restaurants between 1960 and 1965, but the product’s novelty and stores’ inexperience with refrigeration equipment kept it from making an impact. But a chance encounter with a 7-Eleven manager would forever change the success of the frozen beverage.”While visiting a competitor’s store in 1965, a 7-Eleven zone manager came across one of Mitchell’s machines and thought that it had a huge potential for success. In the Fall of 1965, 7-Eleven purchased three machines to test the product in their stores. They were an immediate success, and by the Spring of 1967, the machines were in almost every 7-Eleven® store.”The Slurpee mark was created in May 1967 during a brainstorming session at 7-Eleven’s in-house ad agency. While drinking the product through a straw, agency director Bob Stanford commented that it made a slurping sound. The Slurpee® drink phenomenon was born. For the past 32 years, Slurpee® drink has evolved from Fulla-Bulla to Fire Water to Shrek-a-licious. But no matter the flavor, it will always be The Coolest Drink on Earth™.”

• tawny shelby says:

I am an Okie who has been drinking Icee drinks for years, however I find it frustrating to buy them lately. First of all most of the 7-elevens are selling them with Pepsi products now, which I hate, and it seems like the machines are always defrosting when I am in the store. I tried the sour grape and my toes curled. 15 years ago when I was pregnant with my first child I had an Icee everyday from June until September- oh where of where can you find an Icee drink that is made with Coke? SAM’s Wholesale.

• Lisa says:

I do have a slurpee machine, and only use coke (pepsi~eww our machine is a six barrel, coke, cherry, banana, crystal light (assorted flavors) a mountain dew variety and on optional…pina colada does very well in the summer…After working in a corporate area store in VA. for 20 years I was telephoned by a beer vendor while on vacation (august)to let me know that our market was going franchise! I am very focused on keeping customers happy and would like nothing more than to keep MY store, but the hoops are held higher and higher and it almost seems to me, a caucasion female, that the corporation is reaching out to what they refer to as “new americans” (translates to raghead to most comedians) but they are the ones buying America with help from our Government!!! MAKES ME SICK!!! Anyway, it’s a definete pride issue for me, so wish me luck!Imagine~~~ English speaking associates that smile are polite and have fresh coffee, donuts, big bite hotdogs, sandwiches~ (mmmm) and a clean store for you to shop in!Integrity is all to often only found in the dictionary these days! So, tell me why don’t customers spend thier $$ where they are truely appeciated?

• Brandon Singer says:

7-11 stores of Oklahoma are a weird anamonly in the world of 7-11. they are not franchisee of 7-11 nor are they ran by the same company.

• 7-11 was started by Ron Brown in Oklahoma. As the company grew, he took on a partner, who wanted to expand nationwide. Ron did not want to expand so fast, so the two signed an agreement to share the 7-11 name, where Ron got oklahoma, and his ex-partner got the rest of the US. Well, his partner went bankrupt, and today Ron is a very wealthy man.To summarize: the 7-11 company in OK is the original, the nationwide company (Southland Corp) is the offshoot.

• Mike says:

Lived in Florida for many years. All the 7-Elevens served ICEES.Here in Texas all I can find is Slurpee.

• I still recall the old u tot em stores, then it seemed some time in 84/84 the stores just went away. 7-11 opened up on the other side of the street. An one have old photo’s of the U tot ems?

• joseph says:

7-Eleven Stores (in Oklahoma) is the registered owner of “7-Eleven” name in the state of Oklahoma. It is neither a licensee nor a franchisee of Dallas-based 7-Eleven, Inc.There is no relationship between the two entities.Further research indicates that the famous “Oh Thank Heaven!” slogan originated in Oklahoma City and was shared freely with the Dallas-based international company. Both still use that slogan today.FWIW

• JEROME says:

CLEAN UP YOUR STORES. THEY LOOK LIKE A CHEAP CARNIVAL OR FLEA MARKET. NO PLAYBOY OR LOTTERY TICKETS FOR RELIGIOUS REASONS BUT YOU SELL BEER AND CIGARETTES HUMMM COULD IT BE $$$. WAY TO CLUTTERED FOR ME. CHECK OUT QUIK TRIP IN TULSA. NOW THAT IS A PROPER C STORE. CLEAN IT UP.

• Jay R says:

“Lived in Florida for many years. All the 7-Elevens served ICEES.”Where in Florida? Certainly not in sw Florida. The 7-Eleven’s here always sold Slurpee.

• Rob says:

“NO PLAYBOY OR LOTTERY TICKETS FOR RELIGIOUS REASONS BUT YOU SELL BEER AND CIGARETTES HUMMM COULD IT BE $$$.”No it has nothing to do with the money. They don’t sell adult magazines or condoms due to religious reasons. However, since they are Catholic, they have no problem with beer, cigs, or the lottery.They don’t do the lottery because you have to have at least $500.00 on hand to pay instant winners. OKC 7-Eleven’s won’t participate because it is not safe to make their employee’s keep that much cash on hand. They are only allowed to have 24 bucks in the registers at any time.Now that Jim Brown is in charge, things are slowly starting to change image wise. They are remodeling all of their stores, cleaning them up, and offering a greater variety of products.

• mrchris says:

RE: Brandon’s and Carparts posts…7-11 (dallas based) was founded in 1927 and began rebranding stores in 1946 as 7-11. Bill Brown was the owner of the u-totem (different from 7-11’s early name of Tote’m) in Oklahoma and in 1953 7 years after 7-11 rebranded, entered into a licensing agreement with 7-11 to use the name for their now 100 stores in the OKC metro area. The Oklahoma stores were not the first nor the original and yes there is a licensing agreement. The stores in OK do operate as a seperate company within the bounds of that licensing agreement.

• kevin says:

There is another major difference between the Oklahoma 7-11 stores and their worldwide counterparts… free ATMs. This is a great idea that causes many of us to shop there simply because we save a 1.75 charge (Dallas 7-11 price for a withdrawal). This is an incredibly smart marketing move that seems unique to 7-11 in Oklahoma. Wal mart is the king of loss leaders… but Oklahoma 7-11 stores have this one right.

• Stephanie says:

I am a former employee of the 7-Eleven stores in Oklahoma. So if anyone is still interested here are a couple of things that have been addressed previously :1.) In Oklahoma the drink is an Icy. The machines are bought from and maintained and serviced by Pepsi (the reason there are no Coke products in them). They are commonly found on defrost (which is done automatically throughout the day) because they can only remain frozen for a certain length of time before the machine itself will freeze up. It also has to refill itself and freeze the new product (it is not put into the machine already frozen).2.) Somebody commented that they are not a thief and would not shop there if they had to prepay for their gas. For starters, where are they going that isn’t prepay? 7-Eleven actually did not want to go to prepay, but the year before they finally did they lost almost $200,000 in gas drive-offs. It would have eventually bankrupt them. So while you may not be a thief there very obviously are thieves out there and they don’t exactly where signs saying who they are. Somebody actually told me once that we could just use judgment calls on who to turn it on for… yea, that would only work to start lawsuits! I have seen everyone from young kids driving crappy cars drive off to 40 year old men wearing a suit and tie drive off. Now they have a card you can get that you insert at the pump before you get gas to turn the pump on. It has your D.L. info on the card. The information can only be obtained at the main office and only by 3 people in the company, and the info is only used if you drive off.3.) Yes, there is an agreement between the companies. Part of it is that the “Southland” corp. cannot put a store in Oklahoma county nor its surrounding 5 (or 6, I cannot remember) counties. But really the only similarities between the two are its name and logo. 7-Eleven employees in Oklahoma are well paid (when I quit I was making over $12 an hour, not the best in the world, but, great for the line of work) and receive great benefits including health & dental insurance, profit sharing & 401K, and paid vacation time. 7-Eleven of Oklahoma also owns a couple of other companies:7th Heaven Bakeries- so that they can make their own bakery products donuts, cookies, and muffins.MovieQuik- to rent out movies in the storeand DistribuQuik- which is basically a wholesale company so that they can buy and distribute products into their stores faster and cheaper.And, one of my favorite things about the company is that they raise over half a million dollars a year for the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA or Jerry’s Kids). Through sponsored events and in store fund raising. That is more than ANY other convenience store chain in the country. They encourage all employees to take part in the events and actually manage to make it fun.Whew, I was also going to address the lottery and playboy issue but I think this post is long enough!

• Buddy Payne says:

This is very interesting topic for me as I am a former employee of the OKC 7-Eleven Stores too.And now, “The Rest of the Story”.This information is from the mouth of William C. “Bill” Brown as he explained it to myself and several other Area Supervisors while we sat in his New Office having just “literally” physically completed the move from the old office location at 39th and Portland to our proud new diggs on MacArthur Blvd where the corp. office remains today I believe.Joe Thompson was the founder of 7-Eleven the first store in the Oak Cliff section of Dallas, A prior post was correct, they began as Ice Docks and Uncle Johnny Green came up with the idea of the bread, milk & Ice and being of little means he ran the idea past Joe who agreed to front the stock, try it for the summer and any and they would split any profits if any were made. Well….The Convenience Store was born.By the was we were RIP ROARIN DRUNK from the Champagne used to toast the new office at the time and it was one of the most Fun nights of my life. That was 20+ years ago and I remember as if it were yesterday.Now the Oklahoma “Connection”- Bill Brown’s father owned a company that stocked the drug section of the Thompson’s stores (I.e. Aspirin, Cough Syrup, Etc.) and the families were good friends.Bill graduated from Notre Dame and it was time to make his mark in the world so he and one of the other Thompson Sons decided to open 7-Eleven Stores. I can’t remember the younger Thompson that went to Florida, Jere or Joe but but John took over the Dallas base and Bill after visiting a Chain in Tulsa’s owner of Quick Trip told Bill OKC was prime and he wasn’t interested in expanding there. So William C Brown built and WORKED the morning shift at Store #1 in OKC while looking for new locations to build on in the evenings.We WERE responsible for the “Oh Thank Heaven” phrase (Or our advertising firm did actually)and shared it with the now Southland Corp and we were already established as “Icy Drink” and didn’t want to fix something not broke by renaming to Slurpee.The Brown Family are some of the finest people to ever grace this planet and some 20 years after leaving there I still dream of being late picking up sales reports from the stores and getting to the office.William “Bill” Brown was my mentor, teacher and friend. I treasure the time I spent under his guiding hand and mmany of my business values today are DIRECT from his “Play Book”.Current President Jim Brown was working in the stores during college summer vacation when I left there, actually I think he was running an inventory crew. (A step to a Supervisors position) He was a good man too. They treated their employees better that I have ever been treated since leaving and many times regret having done so.

• Layla says:

I didn’t realize where the name actually came from. I guess now they should think about changing it to 12 to 12.

• Don says:

I have a question. In the late 1980’s I was sent to Dayton Ohio for a couple of weeks and while I was there noticed that all the 7-11’s have their Logo’s painted over with red paint. Are there any 7-11’s in Ohio?As a kid I still remember the TV comercials pushing the 7-11 icy drink.

• Bruno says:

PAY ATTENTION!!!!!!! **************ICY************** NOT ICEE

• Oklahoman. says:

My boyfriend works at 7-11, this is the deal.Two partners came up with the idea for 7-eleven, went through all the steps to brand their company, and then had a disagreement on location. One partner wanted to stick to the Oklahoma City Metro Area– the other wanted to go nationwide. They made an agreement to chare the logo, but to be seperate companies. One partner took over the state of Oklahoma, the other had free reign to use the brand anywhere else in the world.If you shop often at both strands of 7/11, youll see differences. In oklahoma, 7 11 does not sell condoms, etc, that the other seven eleven does sell.And to you, Bruno, you must not be from Oklahoma. Obviously the world Slurpee is spelled ith teo E’s, so when the other owner became selfish and decided not to share verything anymore, the Oklahoman company wanted to come up with something similar. It’s trademarked as an ICEE drink, not an Icy drink.

• Allie says:

Does anyone know if 7-11 has a foundation for giving or is it done only through the corporation?

• AJ says:

My father is a 7-Eleven franchisee. and if u wanna know what the difference between slurpee and icee (which is sold at many different stores) is that slurpee has a special syrup. its 7 parts ice eleven parts syrup. LOL. icee has syrup and ice too but the syrup has some kind of cactus juice in it. da cactus juice makes foam when its in the machine. so your getting a crap load of foam. so thats why even the texture and not only the taste of the 2 are different.

• AJ says:

oh ya and thats why i like slurpee more