Talking Word-of-Mouth with Jack Trout

Wom_roundtable_1

>>> LISTEN HERE <<<

Marketers everywhere … do not pass go and do not collect $200 until you listen to this 19 minute roundtable interview between Jack Trout, Steve Rubel, and Rick Murray. Following all the blog fodder about Jack Trout’s take on Word-of-Mouth marketing, Trout asked Steve and Rick to join him to discuss the merits of WOM.

In the audio interview, Steve and Rick served as great champions for the word-of-mouth marketing cause. And because of their great championing … Jack Trout has a much better appreciation for Word-of-Mouth marketing as another strategic tool in a marketer’s toolkit to promote stellar and staid products. Mucho kudos Steve and Rick for doing a great job for all us WOM practitioners!!!!

Thanks for the heads-up Errol.

• Spike says:

That’s fantastic stuff. It sounds like Jack was actually listening to what they had to say. I guess that’s how we’ll have to convince the old school club – one at a time…

• Mack Collier says:

Guess I heard the wrong podcast. The one I heard had Steve offering canned replies from MP, ‘get down with the people’, ‘seek out the evangelists’, and Rick’s 2 examples of successful WOM campaigns were Burger King’s Subservient Chicken, and Oprah giving the audience Pontiac G6s on her show, the latter example Jack even referenced in his Forbes article as a WOM campaign that did NOT work, because it didn’t increase sales. Rick sheepishly agreed that he was right.Then Jack spent the entire podcast claiming that the main point of his Forbes article was that WOM was great, but that it was only one of several tools available to a marketer. That was NOT the main point of his article, it was a closing statement mentioning in passing for an article that attacked the credibility of WOM and viral marketing. I was amazed that neither Steve nor Rick called him on this.Sorry but I wasn’t overly impressed by any of the parties in this podcast.

• Mack sounds like you are a tough crowd of one. I was greatly impressed with Steve’s ability to champion WOM. Sure, he may have played some of his greatest hits from his blog but he played them in a such a way that he caused Trout to rethink his position on WOM.

• Mack Collier says:

Honestly John, and I could be wrong, but I’m not sure that Jack was ‘rethinking’ anything, as much as he was being a gracious host and letting Steve and Rick make their points. I will give everyone credit for having a very civil discussion. But one comment Jack made in particular, something about ‘I’m hearing that you guys have all these new tools that you are using’, or something like that, but you could tell from his tone that he was thinking ‘You guys might be sold on this WOM stuff, but I aint’.

• I hear ya Mack. And to your point … at least this conversation didn’t get catty and childish like a recent wrecthed conversation did.

• Mack Collier says:

Exactly, kudos all around to Steve, Rick, Jack, and Errol for conducting a civilized conversation. And myself and others have critiqued Jack’s thinking concerning WOM, but he was an exceptional host.Hopefully Shel, Werner, and Robert were taking notes.

• Chuck Nyren says:

Oddly enough, I think I heard the same (wrong) podcast as Mack. However, I side with Jack on this issue. Here’s a BA thread from August.I guess I’m the nasty type – not gracious like Mr. Trout.

• Andy Havens says:

I’m just cracking up at the comment from Spike:”I guess that’s how we’ll have to convince the old school club – one at a time…”Isn’t that the whole point of WOM?