Would You Miss BusinessWeek?

Continuing my “Would you Miss” series

Businessweek_2

Does BusinessWeek provide such a unique publication and reader experience that we would be saddened if it didn’t exist? Does BusinessWeek treat its employees so astonishingly well that those workers would not be able to find another employer to treat them as well? Does BusinessWeek forge such unfailing emotional connections with its readers that they would fail to find another magazine that could forge just as strong an emotional bond?

What say you?

Post inspiration | Mavericks at Work

• No, I wouldn’t miss it. But a bunch of Baby Boomers would.

• Yes, I’d miss it a lot. They were the first pub (that I saw) that really laid out the mess behind cheap home financing and the big bank financial shenanigans to fund it, so I was not at all surprised when Bear Stearns tanked and the nosedive really got going, because they’d explained it so well.I call that great journalism that deserves to keep going.They were also one of the first ones to throw the BS flag about the current business hype over being green, and how that may also be based on a lot of shifting sand and voodoo numbers. Carbon offsets, anyone?If I read nothing else in the tons of mail and zillions of RSS feeds in my house, I read BusinessWeek.And yeah, Livingston, I was born in 1961 so I’m technically a Boomer, though I’ve never felt like one. Bite me. :)

• bob carlton says:

as a tweener – neither Boomer nor Gen Xer – I would not only NOT miss it – I cancelled my subscription 4 monthsfirst off, I just detest their most recent re-design2nd, I find them less & less as a journalistic POV and more & more as a cheerleader for Wall Street, with little if any understanding of the Web world or people born after 19753rd, while I have always loved magazines as a medium, I find that it is used stale news or commentary

• Rohit says:

BusinessWeek is one of the five publications I subscribed to. The others are Wired, Fast Company, Entrepreneur, and the former Business2.0. I would definitely miss BusinessWeek because it’s the most “mainstream” of the business magazines I read. Yes there is lots of boring financial analyst stuff in there that I can barely make it through … but I like that it’s not just about media or entrepreneurship and takes a broader view of business. I’m not a fan of their redesign, but it’s still useful (and I happen to like that it’s a weekly pub instead of monthly).

• Todd S. says:

Yes and I recently changed to that position.The Wall Street Journal is walking away from their in-depth business coverage as Murdoch tries to turn it into a paper that competes with The New York Times. I think this is a big mistake.I am going back to BusinessWeek now more because of their exclusive business focus and their weekly reporting cycle.

• Jen T. says:

Business Week has built a logical connection with its audiences because it is the only publication that does exactly what it does–report on business news from all angles. You know what you’re going to get from this publication and it is consistent. However, I’m not sure it has forged an emotional connection with its audiences–how does it make me feel? What do I do with this information that changes the way I do business? What does it give me that nothing else out there can possibly give me? My answer to those questions: not sure. It’s missing one out of two necessary connections to make it a truly “missable” brand.

• Chris Wilson says:

That depends on if we are talking about the online version of BusinessWeek or the magazine in print or the brand all together.I don’t subscribe to the physical magazine, so I wouldn’t miss it if it ceased to exist.I would miss the online content if it went away. I am a regular consumer of the podcasts, blogs and feature articles on the website.

• steve baker says:

John, probably goes without saying: I’d miss it. Thanks for posting this. It’s a useful and interesting exercise, and not just for magazines, but for every single thing in our lives. I linked to it over at Blogspotting.net

• I totally agree about the excellent investigative journalism. BW’s knack for prescience/foresight goes back many years. They deserve a lot more credit for that.They also deserve credit for pushing design as a key business/marketing discipline. Sadly, I also agree that something went wrong with the print magazine’s last redesign. A few things got better, but other changes made it much harder to read.That’s just a deal-killer nowadays in this age of info overload. I still read BW, but now on the web, where it’s easy to read. I let my print subscription lapse at the end of the year.Of course, the digital format means you can link to articles, email links, archive stuff, etc. In all, BW actually probably gets a lot more attention because of all this.Business Week is still a great publication, but the days may be numbered for the print version – and that should be a warning to lesser magazines as well.

• Thom says:

What’s Businessweek?

• It’s ok, as far as news sites go.

• Brian says:

I would not be with my business week, it makes good reading.by the way great blogBritec – http://www.britec.org.uk

• Christian says:

I have to say, I’d definitely miss it. I check BussinessWeek several times a week, and find it an excellent resource of information.

• Rusty says:

BusinessWeek has done a wonderful job at offering a nice alternative to other business publications–not as academic as the Economist and not as self-absorbed as Forbes. BusinessWeek has given me a easy-to-use form for reading about innovation, branding, education, et cetera. I wouldn’t miss Forbes, I can’t remember if Money still exists, I would miss BusinessWeek. It has found it’s place in my information world.

• Brand Autopsy on Business WeekCheck out branding guru John Moore’s blog Brand Autopsy Marketing Practice on why in-depth journalism has a strong following. It’s about my own magazine, which makes me reluctant to call out, but the blog item is from an independent source….

• Miss BusinessWeek? In Chicago, we are having the very experience: BW/Chicago just announced the end of its publishing experiment after eight monthly issues of local reporting in the BusinessWeek format. Yes, we do miss BusinessWeek’s regional news.

• UDAYKUMAR says:

Business Week is a great magazine. I like everything about the magazine’s content. It is contemporary and provides a good stuff for all the business practitioners. I am immensely benefitted. I hear their video stories and as well all the podcasts. More than that what impresses me is the variety it offers in the business domain. One thing that I would suggest is, to make it available for countries like India at slightly a lower price so that 300 million people who are the middle class in India can buy this without hesitation. I am sure if the price is 50 cents then more than 300 million copies would be sold in India alone. That means 7.8 billion dollars plus revenue from advertisement and new streams of revenue too. Look if you would like to try.agribusiness.uday@gmail.com94480931670091(80)41674949

• Brian says:

BW/Chicago is no big loss: It was like just getting the Crain’s Life section without the rest of the paper. It was all local business celebrities without the real Chicago business news.But I’m a fan of BW’s main pub, mainly for the foresight and tendency to call BS when they see it.

• Dan Entin says:

BusinessWeek is the one magazine I read every week without fail. It keeps me up to date on all the aspects of business I choose to read about and I think their coverage of consumer technology and digital media is very good for a general business magazine. I would definitely miss BW if it went out of business.

• bevo says:

I subscribed to BW in the early 1990s when it still covered news and wrote a weekly long story.In the middle 1990s, BW went to shorter stories, big pictures, and info-bytes.Portfolio and the Economists are now my magazines of choice because their quality is top rate.BW? Terrible product.

• Ahmad Omara says:

Yes I’d miss much…I visit daily the website.I like very much their Stock Market Section and the tools on the stocks charts.